Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P is for Potty Party


It's time to be proactive. I'm go to do the same thing I did for my first kiddo. She was ready, but we just couldn't make a clean break from the pull ups. So we did a potty party. Potty training in one day. 

I've about had it with my 2 and a half year old. She uses the potty about half the time. The other half, she changes her own diaper - and then hides the evidence.

In the case of the dreaded poopy diapers, all I can say is eewwww. For whatever reason potty training my second child has been much more difficult than training my first. But I'm busier now. Perhaps if I just spent more time. Well you know what they say about ifs and buts. But my problem is specifically about the butt.


The idea is to make it fun, almost like a birthday party. We invited a few friends over, there was a special cake, little presents, and lots of fun potty games. The whole day was spent playing with the potty and saying goodbye to the diaper. She was a big girl that could wear underwears.

This made a connection in my first daughter's brain. Of course we had a few accidents afterwards, but just like a birthday party to celebrate getting older, she had celebrated growing up and getting rid of the diapers.

So I think in the next month I am really going to push the little one to lose the diapers. Let the party planning begin.

What worked for you and little poopers?

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Betsy! My husband and I don't want kids for a looong time yet and this post confirms our decision to wait, LoL!! My sister's daughter and sister-in-law's two daughters are in the potty training stage right now. I have no idea how they're doing it, but they both have older kids so I guess they know what they're doing! Wishing you lots of luck with your kiddo!

    Have a great week and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used every potty training method I could find trying to get my first child self-sufficient. It took NINE months!! But by the third child, well…that one pretty much potty trained herself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that was such a long time ago. My youngest is 13 now. I was lucky with my second born, he hated the feeling of a dirty diaper and was trained by 2. I love the potty party idea. Good luck!

    Stopping in via the A-Z blogging challenge.

    Bev @ Blue Velvet Vincent

    ReplyDelete